Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday Recipe Exchange!

Ok so Michelle @ Circle of Life started a HOLIDAY EXCHANGE THURSDAY and since she demanded me to do this (just joking!) I would like to share a cookie recipe that us Puerto Ricans make!!! They are yummy....








Mantecaditos


Makes about 40


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
5 maraschino cherries, cut into eighths

Place oven rack in middle position of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine flour and nutmeg; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening and extracts with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add sugar to butter mixture and cream until mixture is light and fluffy. Blend in flour mixture. Dough should be slightly moist. If dough looks dry, sprinkle with water and work into dough. If dough is sticky, sprinkle with additional flour. Spoon dough by teaspoons and form into balls. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Gently press each ball with palm of hand to form cookie. Garnish with a cherry piece placed in the center of each cookie. Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool.


My grandma used to make these all the time and I remember sitting on the kitchen counter eating the dough out of the bowl!! LOL I know my grandma can't see my blog because she doesn't even know how to get onto a computer but I love you abuela....




You can decorate these two different ways: With sprinkles or dent the middle of the cookie with your thumb and place a cherry in it!

10 comments:

CIRCLE OF LIFE said...

LOL I BROKE YOUR ARM ASKING FOR A GOOD RECIPE YEAH THATS ME, BUT WELL WORTH IT THIS SOUNDS YUMMMMMMMMMMMMY!

THANKS FOR PLAYING ALONG!

Rene said...

YUM those look great!

Thanks for your post on my blog and reminding me to put Satan behind me!You are such a blessing to me :)

As for temps- yes yes yes I have been doing that for the past year and I am so sick of it. But, because of my temps I was able to tell that I am not ovulating at all, despite my periods. So I would recommend giving it a try because it can help you detect patterns in your cycle that, my dear, may help you get pregnant :)

CIRCLE OF LIFE said...

OK I DID YOUR REQUEST , THE LETTER C . CHECK ME OUT!

I AM STILL BLIND I CAN NOT SEE YOUR M POST SILLY I THINK YOU DID NOT DO IT , I BEGINING TO THINK I WAS THE ONLY ONE LOL ! WELL I DID N=MINE SO I CAN SLEEP TONIGHT. SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG I HAVE HAD ISSUES IN MY HOUSE TONIGHT, DINNER, HOMEWORK , BABY SICK AND WRAPING GIFTS AND PRAYING FOR MY MOM WHO HAD SOME MOHS SURGERY TODAY AND THANK GOD IS DOING WELL. THANKS FOR THE CHALLANGE SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG FOR ME TO REPLY. HAVE A BLESSED EVENING I'M SO TIRED NEED TO EAT DINNER AND WATCH GREYS . AND PRIVITE PRATICE HAS BEEN MOVED TWO GOOD SHOWS. HUGS GIRL HAVE A BLESSED EVENING! AGAIN THANKS FOR THAT YUMMY COOKIE RECIPE, I WILL LOVE TO TRY IT THIS WEEKEND WHEN I START MY BAKING.

Misty Rice said...

I thought I was following you before, but guess I wasn't. Nice blog. Did you do the 3 column yourself?

Happy Holidays girl

Amy Fichtner said...

Yum, Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

This is too cute and fun...enjoy.

Allisyn said...

Hi there.. I have been good and busy.. we got the new floor in, tomorrow we get our new stove and frig and on the 30th we get our countertops... but the last couple of days have spent watching the snow fall and being thankful for having a roof over our head. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
take care

Teresa & Connie said...

I hope you have a VERY Merry Christmas mama!

Aspiemom said...

Been missing you the last few days! Hope you're having a nice Christmas.

Rene said...

Where are you? Miss you- hope everything is going well!